Jets Game Notes
September 12, 2013 at 01:54am by Scott • 46 Comments »
* We’ve seen this version of Josh Freeman before. He starts off cold but gets better in the middle of the game. Then it’s unpredictable. He can either pull some amazing victories out at the last second or implode into a huge heap of suck. Sunday he was looking pretty decent at the end of the game, so that’s a plus. But they started off completely out of synch and poorly managed, and that’s on him. Sorry the speaker in your helmet wasn’t working, you should have a play ready just in case that happens. Just from this one game, I have a hard time trusting him for a whole season. And I’m not the only one; the fact that he wasn’t voted team captain is significant.
* But the safety wasn’t his fault.
* Wasn’t Kevin Ogletree the Cowboy who caught all those clutch passes when Dez Bryant and Miles Austin were covered? What the hell happened to this guy?
* Nice to know the Bucs have a kicker that can drill a potential game winner under pressure. The carousel-o-kickers had be a little nervous in the offseason.
* Darrelle Revis looks good. I’m not ready to say the trade was worth it yet, but I like the way he’s coming back from the injury. And let’s face it, no rookie would have gotten Treasure Island to change their name for a day. And know this: If Revis gets hurt again, some team will throw 4-digits against the Bucs.
* Lavonte David’s penalty to completely screw the game was mostly bullshit. Geno Smith’s foot hadn’t even landed out of bounds yet when David pushed him. Yes, that’s where he was headed and it would have taken a freakish feat of athleticism to avoid it. But it happens. When defenders give up on plays, runners have a way of making them look dumb. I have a vivid memory of a defensive lineman having a quarterback in the grasp but not taking him down because he didn’t want to get fined. So he let up, but the whistle hadn’t blown, so the quarterback just ran away. I’ve been looking for this clip for a little while now and can’t find it, but it’s a great example of what happens when you don’t play through (If someone wants to tell me who the defender and/or quarterback was, that would be just swell. I keep thinking it was Vince young, but I don’t think Young ever did anything memorable.) My point is that David need to be more aware, but his actions were understandable and he certainly should not shoulder all the blame for this loss.
* Vincent Jackson had an awesome day, but he should get some shit in the locker room for getting caught from behind by a linebacker.
* Two sacks by Mason Foster? Very cool, but is his thing going to be blitzing?
* Doug Martin didn’t appear to have any room to run, and that’s mostly the line’s fault. Carl Nicks needs to come back because Gabe Carimi isn’t getting it done and Donald Penn had a terrible game.
This was a bad Jets team with a rookie starting quarterback and the Bucs still lost. They’ll get better during the season, but so far I think the same thing I thought during the preseason: This team will be frustrating to watch.